The Govt. of Nagaland by Notification No.AGR/ESTT-11/85 dated 30-07-1987 created the Department of Irrigation as an independent entity bifurcating the Engineering Wing of the Department of Agriculture. The Engineering Wing of the then Agriculture Department was multi-disciplinary in nature involving activities like construction of minor irrigation, anti-erosion, buildings, land reclamation, subsidy sale and maintenance of Farm Machineries &Equipments teamed with various engineering professionals in Civil, Agriculture, Mechanical and Electrical under one roof. The new Department of Irrigation, Nagaland started functioning independently with effect from 01-04-1988, the Department was then headed by a Joint Director, later re-designated as Superintending Engineer. The Department was renamed as the “Department of Irrigation and Flood Control” (I & FCD) by Govt. Notification during 1992.
Integrated water resources planning, optimal and sustainable development, management and efficient uses of available water resources to match the supply and demand of water in the State.
Nagaland is blessed with high annual precipitation and good drainage system. It is an agrarian State with its economy basically based on agriculture. In tune with the State Water Policy 2016 and Nagaland Vision Document 2030, the water resources should be judiciously harnessed and developed to uplift its economy that is sustainable to agriculture, environment and human life.
- To formulate policies, planning & coordination relating to water sector, and as envisioned by the Government through its Vision Documents and Water Policies.
- To prepare Master Plan for development and management of water resources in the State.
- To coordinate with stake holder Departments, Institutions and Agencies involved in water sector for optimum utilization.
- To prepare/develop GIS based maps relating to water sector.
- To create more irrigation potential in the State through surface and lift M.I Schemes.
- To bridge the gap between irrigation potential created and utilized through Command Area Development and other On Farm Developmental Works.
- To promote Participatory Irrigation Management through Water Users Associations.
- To implement Flood Management and Drainage Development works.
- To implement River Development & River Training works.
- To mitigate landslides and stream bank erosion problem.
- To develop and utilize ground water for conjunctive use through dug wells and tube wells.
- To collect Hydro- Meteorological Datas and develop Hydrology Information System.
- To create and manage State Data Center for Hydrology Programme.
- To develop now-casting, forecasting and decision support systems.
- Micro Irrigation Development through Drip and Sprinklers.
- Creation, Repair and Renovation of Water Bodies.
- Survey, Investigation, DPR Preparation for Medium, Major and Multi-Purpose Projects.
- To disseminate information, skills and knowledge in promoting Capacity Building.
- To carry out Minor Irrigation & Water Bodies Census every 5 years under RMIS.
- To construct Department Office Buildings & Quarters.
- To adopt various water resources based measures for adaption to Climate Change, such as Solar Powered Pump sets, Water Bodies, Water conservations measures, spring-shed development etc.
- To implement any other Schemes or Programmes as launched by State Government or Government of India, or any other Funding Agencies.
- Any Others.