The Industries & Commerce department provides the necessary policy guidance for industrial development in the State. It also explores and formulates technically feasible and economically viable industrial projects. These project profiles/Schemes are given to prospective entrepreneurs in the headquarter as well as the district. These entrepreneurs are then provided with training under EDP and provided finance through Financial Institutions like NIDC, NSIC, and other commercial banks. The department also provides other financial and fiscal incentives to help the unit. The Department of Industries and Commerce has been implementing many developmental Schemes in order to create more self employment avenues in the small scale and tiny and cottage industries sector. The main task of the department is to be the facilitator to the prospective entrepreneurs to set up and run an industrial venture successfully.
The Government of Nagaland and the Industries & Commerce Department is of the view that the State
needs infrastructure led growth and therefore stressing more in the development of infrastructure
structure in the State. The Department has so far created the following infrastructures in order to facilitate
the Industrial growth in the State.
- Industrial Growth Centre (IGC) at Ganeshnagar, Dimapur .
- Export Promotion Industrial Park which is now being up graded to Product Specific Special Economic Zone (SEZ).
- Nagaland Tool Room & Training Centre (NTTC) Dimapur aimed with Human Resource Deployment in the Industrial Sector .
- Industrial Infrastructure Development Centre (IIDC) at Kiruphema.
- Two more Infrastructure Development Centres(IDs) are proposed at Tuli & Jalukie.
In order to carry out all such tasks, the following are the structures of the Department:
- Administrative set up: The Secretary to the Government of Nagaland Smti. N. Hushili Sema, IAS heads
the Administrative Department.
- Directorate: A Director heads the Directorate, who is assisted by 29 (twenty nine) Officers, 5 (five)
Inspectors and 123 Ministerial & Grade-IV Staff. A Construction Wing (Housing Div-VI) attached to the
Directorate is headed by an Executive Engineer who is assisted by three SDOs, one Divisional Accounts
Officer, three Junior Engineers and seven Sectional Officers to look after all civil works under the
Department including PSUs under the control of the Department.
- District Industries Centre (DIC): There are 11 (eleven) full-fledged DICs headed by the General
Manager and assisted by Functional Managers & Inspectors and 6 (six) Sub-DICs headed by a
Functional Manager and assisted by Inspectors.
Creation of New Sub-District Industries Centre (SDIC’s): Proposal for creation of New Sub-District
Industries Centre (SDIC’s) offices at Tuli/ Mangkolemba/ Tizit/ Meluri/ Noklak and Atoizu during the
year 2015-16 has been submitted to the Government.