JAWAHARLAL NEHRU NATIONAL URBAN RENEWABLE MISSION (JNNURM)
This CSS was launched during December 2005 with the primary objective to create economically productive, efficient, equitable & responsive cities. The Mission is the singe largest initiative of the GoI for planned development of our cities and is to be implemented over the next 7 years on 90:10 basis between the Centre and State. A total of 63 cities are to be covered initially under this scheme, including all cities having more than a million population & all capital towns in the NE. Kohima town has also been selected under this scheme.
The City Development Plan (CDP) for Kohima town, which is a prerequisite for availing funds under this scheme, for an amount of Rs. 1869 crores has already been submitted to GoI in March, 2006. As per guidelines, State Level Steering Committee (SLSC) was constituted in January, 2006 with CM as Chairman. Moreover, State Government has already signed tripartite MoA on 27th February, 2007.
There are four Sub-Missions under JnNURM. The capital town, Kohima, is eligible to avail funds under the following two Sub-Missions:
1. Sub-Mission (i) Infrastructure & Governance (I&G) – under Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) for development of infrastructure and for Urban Reforms at the State Level and ULB level. So far 5 DPRs have been submitted under this.
2. Sub-Mission (ii) Basic Services for Urban Poor (BSUP) under Ministry of Urban Employment & Poverty Alleviation (MoUEPA) for the Improvement of Slum Area. Under ‘Housing for Urban Poor in Kohima, BSUP scheme, 78 building blocks are to be built with 1872 dwelling units. Works have commenced on construction of Housing Blocks at 4 locations in Kohima.
Other towns of the State can avail funds under the following two Sub-Missions:
1. Submission (iii) Integrated Housing & Slum Development Programme (IHSDP) under MoUEPA for development of towns other than JnNURM cities where there are notified slums. Under this Scheme, GoI has approved DPR for ‘Housing for Urban Poor in Dimapur for an amount of Rs. 87.99 crores. A total of 38 building blocks are to be built with 912 dwelling units and works have commenced on construction of Housing Blocks at 3 locations in Dimapur.
2. Sub-Mission (iv) Urban Infrastructure Development Schemes for Small and Medium Towns (UIDSSMT) under MoUEPA for infrastructure development in towns which are not covered under JnNURM. All towns in Nagaland which have elected Urban Local Body (ULB) can avail this scheme. Presently, the Department is preparing Development Plans for all District Headquarters to be covered in the 1st phase which will be followed by preparation of DPRs.
1. Integrated Housing and Slum Development Programme (IHSDP) 2. Basic Services for Urban Poor (BSUP) 3. UIDSSMT